Academic Integrity Education Program
The Office of Undergraduate Academic Integrity leads an Academic Integrity Education Program(AIEP) that explores the ethical implications of the academic enterprise, including the creation and communication of new knowledge. The program is designed to further enhance the VT-Shaped learning experience by using academic misconduct violations as teachable moments for students. The AIEP is a two-part program designed to educate students about academic integrity and ethics. The first part of the program is a 2-hour seminar on academic integrity that focuses on the Virginia Tech Honor Code. The second part is an online ethics module. This program is required for students who are assigned the Academic Integrity Education Program as a sanction and/or students who wish to petition the Honor System to remove the “*” from the F* sanction on their academic transcript. The program should be completed in the following order:
Part 1: On Campus Seminar
You must register for one of the seminars no later than three (3) class days before the course date. To register, please visit the following Canvas site: https://canvas.vt.edu/enroll/8HLHHR. Once on the site, follow the instructions below to register for a date. Please note that the slots for the seminar fill up quickly.
1. On left side of screen, select fourth tab down.
a. Click on Calendar
2. Once you are viewing the calendar, check the box for Academic Integrity Education Program located on the right-hand side of the screen.
3. Click Find Appointment on the right-hand side of the screen.
4. Browse through the calendar or select Agenda to view a list of all available sessions.
5. If seats are available, click on the desired session.
6. Click Reserve at the bottom of the dialog box.
a. Once clicked, it will show up on your calendar
For this course, you will need to purchase the book Doing Honest Work in College: How to Prepare Citations, Avoid Plagiarism, and Achieve Real Academic Success, 2nd edition by Charles Lipson (ISBN-13:978-0226484778). This book can be purchased from the University bookstore. It must be brought with you to the course and you must have read the first 4 chapters or you will not be able to attend.
Location: Library Multi-Purpose Room- The Multipurpose Room (room 101) is located on the first floor of Newman Library behind the Study Café and between the CommLab and SCALE-UP Classroom.
Dates and Times
- Wendnesday, September 5, 2018: 1-3pm
- Friday, September 21, 2018: 9-11am
- Tuesday, October 9, 2018: 2-4pm
- Sunday, October 21, 2018: 2-4pm
- Thursday, October 25, 2018: 8-10am
- Monday, November 5, 2018: 2-4pm
- Tuesday, November 27, 2018: 9-11am
- Monday, December 3, 2018: 10-12pm
- Monday, January 28, 2019: 1-3pm
- Thursday, February 7, 2019: 9-11am
- Sunday, February 17, 2019: 2-4pm
- Wednesday, March 13, 2019: 10-12pm
- Thursday, March 28, 2019: 1-3pm
- Monday, April 1, 2019: 9-11am
- Tuesday, April 23, 2019: 1-3pm
Part 2: Online Ethics Module
After attending the on-campus seminar students must enroll in the Online Ethics Course. The Online Ethics Course is a self-paced, and it is up to the student to finish the course in a timely manner. If a completion date is specified in a student’s sanction letter, it is the student’s responsibility to complete all parts of the AIEP before the time specified in their letter. Students should keep in mind that their assignments will need to be graded. Hence, they should not wait until the date that their sanction must be completed to submit their assignments. Please allow 3 business days between your date of submission and your due date in order to allow for the review of your assignment.
To enroll, send an email (requesting enrollment) from your VT email account to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please carbon copy email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Ashley8285@vt.edu , and email@example.com. The cost of the course is $150. The $150 will be charged to the student’s account upon sending the email.
A student must successfully complete both part 1 and 2, as well as submit full payment, to fulfill the requirements of the AIEP sanction and request removal of the “*” from the F* sanction that has been placed on their academic transcript. After completion the student must notify the Office of Undergraduate Academic Integrity by sending an email to Dr. Orr at firstname.lastname@example.org, Ms. Kara Latopolski at email@example.com, Mrs. Ashley Perry at Ashley8285@vt.edu and Ms. Jessica Sparks at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating that they have completed the course and paid the $150 associated with the course.