VI. OFFICE OF UNDERGRADUATE ACADEMIC INTEGRITY
The Board of Visitors is ultimately responsible for the discipline of all students at the university. Administrative authority and responsibility for Undergraduate academic misconduct policies and procedures are delegated to the President.
Within the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost, direct supervisory jurisdiction of academic misconduct matters involving violations of the Undergraduate Honor Code is assumed by the Office of Undergraduate Academic Integrity. The Director of the Office of Undergraduate Academic Integrity assumes oversight of the Undergraduate Honor Code and reports directly to the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Academic Affairs or an administrator with a similar title and responsibilities. The Director of the Office of Undergraduate Academic Integrity shall maintain a title that is consistent with the titles of others who report directly to the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Academic Affairs. To ensure the success of the promotion of Academic Integrity, the University is committed to ensuring the success of the Office of Undergraduate Academic Integrity through providing the appropriate staffing, budget, and office space for this high-profile office.
The Office of Undergraduate Academic Integrity leads the University’s efforts to promote academic integrity as well as reduce and control academic dishonesty. The Office seeks to foster an environment that promotes fairness, personal responsibility, and integrity.
The Office of Undergraduate Academic Integrity has the following core functions:
- Serve as a resource to faculty and staff regarding strategies to promote academic integrity in the classroom, strategies to reduce and control academic dishonesty, reporting academic misconduct violations, and navigating the Undergraduate Honor System process.
- Promote collaboration with other units on campus to develop a culture of academic integrity at Virginia Tech.
- Coordinate campus-wide programs and educational efforts related to academic integrity.
- Provide administrative oversight to the Undergraduate Honor System on behalf of the Executive Vice President and Provost.
- Provide training and support for faculty, staff, and students participating in the Undergraduate Honor System.
- Ensure that the Undergraduate Honor System is administered effectively and efficiently with the fundamental principles of fairness and of due process.
- Provide assistance to students accused of academic misconduct violations.
- Provide assistance to faculty who suspect that academic misconduct has occurred.
- Provide training to new faculty on the Undergraduate Honor System.
- Serve as the central office responsible for maintaining records and for coordinating communication, prevention, training, remediation, and adjudication efforts for all cases of undergraduate academic misconduct.
- Monitor all relevant data pertaining to academic integrity and dishonesty at Virginia Tech.
- Assess the effectiveness of intervention strategies designed to promote academic integrity.
- Serve as a resource and consultant to faculty, students, staff, and parents regarding the University’s expectations as they relate to academic integrity.
The purpose of the Office of Undergraduate Academic Integrity is to support the campus in its efforts of promoting the highest standards of integrity and honor for our students both inside and outside of the classroom.
Specific responsibilities of the Director of the Office of Undergraduate Academic Integrity include:
- Overseeing all activities of the Undergraduate Honor System and the Office of Undergraduate Academic Integrity.
- Overseeing all activities of the Honor Code Council.
- Ensuring that the Honor Code process and procedures are conducted in accordance with appropriate due process requirements.
- Determining whether alleged violations should proceed to a Hearing Panel.
- Reviewing the Honor Code procedures annually and recommending changes to the Executive Vice President and Provost and Vice Provost for Undergraduate Academic Affairs.
- Providing an annual report on the activities of the Office of Undergraduate Academic Integrity to the Executive Vice President and Provost, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Academic Integrity, the Faculty Senate, the Order of the Gavel, the Commission on Student Affairs, the Commission on Faculty Affairs, the Commission on Undergraduate Studies and Policies, the Student Government Association, and other appropriate organizations.
- Periodically updating the campus community on activities of the Honor Code Office.
- Participating in national and regional organizations that are designed to promote academic integrity.
- Conducting presentations related to academic integrity at regional and national conferences.
- Representing the Honor Code Office on various university committees.
- Serving as an ex-officio member of the Honor Council.
Staffing Recommendations: For Virginia Tech to achieve a place of preeminence in academic integrity and accomplish the goals established in this document, the appropriate staffing must be present for the Office of Undergraduate Academic Integrity.